Our academic curriculum is always focused on our mission: “Empowering Students as Learners.” Students receive rigorous instruction that requires them to use higher-order thinking skills.
The teachers at CCCS implement instruction that is technological and project-based. Students acquire knowledge through high-interest hands-on activities that allow them to master skills presented.
Academic progress is monitored using the following assessments:
- i-Ready Diagnostic assessment, three times per year (fall, winter, spring)
- Math - grades 1-8
- Reading - grades 2-8
- DIBELS assessment of Reading fluency in grades K-1, three times per year
- Fountas & Pinnell assessment of Reading in grades K-5, three times per year
- K is tested only in winter and spring
- Curriculum Benchmark assessments in Math and ELA in grades 3-8, twice per year (late fall and winter)
- PSSA in Math and ELA in grades 3-8, in April-May
- Grade 4 and grade 8 are also assessed in Science
Data collected from the assessments are further used to drive curriculum and instruction. Acquisition of the Race to the Top grant provides professional development opportunities, assessment tools, and resource materials to enhance student learning.